Open most weekends and perched conveniently on top of the hill at the apex of Bay Bulls and Witless Bay, when the Taylor’s Fresh Fish and Vegetable Truck is parked, you’ll see a steady stream of patrons pulling over to the side of the road all day long. At Taylor’s Fish Truck, you can get the freshest seafood, like shrimp, crab, lobster, mackerel, halibut, and of course, cod.
The nicest locally grown carrots, onions, cabbage, and potatoes are displayed on a broad table outside the truck. Inside the truck is where you’ll find all the best seafood.
“Today we have flash-frozen wild shrimp from Bay Roberts, fresh cod from the south coast of Newfoundland, and lobster that was just brought in this morning,” states the bubbly attendant to a group of customers gathering as soon as the truck opened for business.
Because Taylor’s Fish Truck is known for supplying top-quality seafood and vegetables, even when you’re on the way home from the grocery store, if you see the truck, you will want to stop. The quality of the fish and produce is too good to pass up, and if you do drive by, you’ll regret not stopping by the time you get home.
The Taylor family has a long history of supplying top-shelf ingredients for our dining tables, and they have the record to prove it.
Brief Family History
Stemming from the long-standing family history of fishmongering for more than 50, they bring some of the freshest products on the market!
- Historically, the Taylors were farmers and butchers selling to the merchants of St, Johns.
- Started selling directly to customers door to door (buying 100lb barrel of Herring for $20 from a fisherman to sell for $1/dozen)
- They were the first to sell vegetables and rabbits, seal and lobsters, etc.
- The brothers established a flourishing mobile shop in various locations around what is now metro St. John’s by acquiring fresh seafood items from different regions of the Province, as well as local game, berries, seal meat, and vegetables.
- Bought 400Ib salmon from Marystwon for $0.50 a pound, put it all in the trunk of a beautiful black Cadillac with ice and then drove it back to town, and they were all sold it in a flash
- Their brick-and-mortar storefront began in the mid-70s
- Sisters: Jane, Kelly and Nancy Taylor bought the business from their parents and pride themselves on continuing a family tradition. In an industry that men almost exclusively dominate, it’s cool to see women leaders in this sector.
Keep on Truck’n
Closer to home, the Taylors’ Fresh Fish and Vegetable Truck has been a staple on top of the hill in the Witless Bay Marine Ecological Reserve since most people can remember.
In the 50 years in the business, this particular family branch kept to the idea of servicing the smaller populated areas with the Iconic Fish Truck. Over that time, they’ve learned a thing or two about how to grow the best Newfoundland traditional vegetables. “Check out the size of that parsnip!” says one of the youngsters poking around the vegetable table while an old timer eyes up a choice piece of salt beef.
Open most weekends and perched conveniently on top of the hill at the apex of Bay Bulls and Witless Bay, when the Taylor’s Fresh Fish and Vegetable truck is parked, you’ll see a steady stream of patrons pulling over to the side of the road all day long.
Hungry For More?
Want to know more about today’s catch and harvest? Call Taylor’s Fish Market at 709-834-8638 to get a in touch with the Taylor’s Fish Truck, call Greg (Taylor’s Fish Truck 727-4362) and experience what the freshest fish and vegetables in Newfoundland are all about.